Hey so you remember when I got to try that entire brisket from JMueller BBQ? Yeah, that’s quite a bit of meat to get through in a day. Needless to say, there were plenty of leftovers.
What I didn’t mention in the review post, was that I also raced to Rudy’s to pick up a bunch of sides after John gave me the brisket. After all, BBQ just ain’t the same without sides, my favourite of which is cream corn; a thick flour-based white sauce mixed with sweet corn kernels.
The idea for this delicious concoction actually came to me the day prior- does it make me an extra fatty if I get excited about the next meal while I’m still eating the current one?
Check it out, it’s crazy simple but undeniably nom.
1. Heat skillet. You need to do this in an awesome cast iron skillet, seasoned with years of previous grease. Luckily, Housemate Emily allowed me to use hers. I actually put a teeny piece of brisket fat at the bottom to render, in addition to a spray of cooking oil.
2. Crack yourself an egg (or two if you’re an extra hungry monkey) in the pan and let that sucker fry.
3. Grab your leftover cream corn – it’ll need warming after being in the fridge. Scoop a few spoonfuls into the pan. Shred some of the leftover brisket into the rest of the pan.
4. Flip your egg (because I’m an over easy girl), and mix the corn and brisket together to keep warming.
5. Cook just a minute or so longer then scoop out the whole sweet/savoury pile onto a plate. BBQ sauce optional.
And that’s it! Sure, it’s not the prettiest looking dish, but your tastebuds don’t care how it looks.